Beware of Snakes
VETS NOW PRESTON WARNS DOG OWNERS ABOUT THE RISK OF ADDER BITES
‘Tox Box’ service saves local dog
Vets Now Preston has issued a warning to dog owners about the possible risk of adder bites when out walking their pets in rough and woodland areas. The warm weather forecast for this week may encourage the snakes out to sun themselves.
Recently Vets Now Preston provided life saving anti-venom drug for nine month old Border Collie Jess who got more than she bargained for when out for a walk in Grizedale Forest with her owner. Jess was bitten by an adder and needed the anti-venom, not commonly stocked in local vet practices because of a national supply issue, as a vital part of her treatment..
Adders are the only venomous snake native to Britain and approximately 100 cases of adder bites to dogs are reported to Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) each year. * If a dog is left untreated, adder bites can be fatal. Most adder bites occur between February and October, with the number of bites peaking during the summer months. Adders are commonly found in areas of rough, open countryside and are often associated with woodland edge habitats.
Jess’ owner, Kevin Clarke, said “When I realised Jess had been bitten, I sought help straight away but various people advised me that Jess had been bitten by a harmless grass snake. . When Jess’ condition deteriorated and her face and neck began to swell we contacted out local vet, Animal Medical Centre, who gave her an antihistamine. My vet, Justina Simonaityte, and I checked the internet for a picture of the snake I saw and it turned out to be an adder as it had the same markings.
Justina quickly checked her online vets advice service where it recommended we needed anti-venom. Justina then called Vets Now in Preston who stocked it as part of their ‘Tox Box’ service. I drove to Preston to get the anti-venom.
“A few days after administering the anti-venom to Jess, her swelling began to go down. I’d like to thank Vets Now in Preston and Animal Medical Centre in Thornton for helping us that day. We are delighted Jess is back in full health.”
Mhairi Cameron, Senior Veterinary Surgeon at Vets Now in Preston, said “Some poisons can have severe and life threatening effects on animals if not treated quickly. Fortunately Jess’s owner and her local vet tracked the drug back to us and we were able to help out.
“Through our Tox Box service we can help vets and owners access the required treatment without delay and together with the VPIS provide case-specific guidance to ensure the pet receives optimum care.”